During the pre-Spanish era, the town’s vicinity was densely forested, except for very small portion along the coastline. It was in this stretch where a group of white men landed. To their dismay, no single house could be found because it was learned that the place had been frequented by plundering Moro pirates. Thus, the natives called Kangmas, settled in the interior parts of the area. The white men penetrated further until they came across a river where a bunch of Kangmas were fishing. The natives felt no fear at the sight of these white men since they had already heard stories of the Spanish settlements in the Barangay of Zebu. Through signs, the Spaniards made it known to the natives adeptly linked their arms in such a fashion to stimulate the seat of a chair called in the dialect as “balangbalang”. As a result the natives answered “balangbalang” when one of the Spaniards asked for the name of the place. Thus, the Spaniards called the place “Balangbalang”. Later on, maybe to make it easier to pronounce, it was shortened to “Bangbang”.
As the tale went on, a settlement was established in the area by the Spaniards, as proven by the excavated stone tablets which were construction materials during those days (the site is now a sitio of Barangay Nangka). But horrendous flood washed away the establishment and buried the stone houses. As a consequence of the tragic event, the civil authorities with the approval of the church, transferred the town Bangbang to its present location and for unknown reasons, the name Bangbang was changed to Balangbalang and later on to its present name BALAMBAN.
The Municipality of Balamban is situated 21 statute miles (31 kms.) North 40 degrees 30 minutes West of the City of Cebu, squatting on a coastal area facing Tañon strait, bounded by the town of Asturias on the North, Toledo City on the South, Danao City and Compostela of the East and Tañon strait on the West. Its geographic coordinates are:
|10 degrees 24 minutes||10 degrees 33 minutes North Latitude|
|123 degrees 40 minutes||123 degrees 53 minutes East Latitude|
With the Cebu City as the take-off point, Balamban can be reached through four (4) routes, namely: Naga-Uling route (175 kms.); North route via Lugo (132.3 kms.); Transcentral Highway route (49 kms.) passing Lahug-Busay of Cebu City as entry point and the Talisay-Lutopan (manipis) route (63.9 kms.).
Land Area – Balamban has a total land area of 337.00n square kilometers (33, 700 hectares) 55.49% of which is classified as alienable and disposable and the remaining 44.51% as timberland.
The town proper or Poblacion is composed of barangays Aliwanay, Baliwagan and Sta. Cruz-Sto. Niño with a combined land area of 1.93 square kilometers or 193 hectares. The rural area consists of 25 barangays with an aggregate are of 335.07 square kilometers or 33, 507 hectares, representing 99.43% of the total land area.
Topography – The land form or terrain of Balamban is characterized by flat lands, scraggly hills, small mountain ranges and deep narrow passages between mountain and hills. The Poblacion is relatively flat with an elevation of less than 3.0 meters above sea level. The highest known elevation is situated in the southwestern section of municipality which is about 908 meters or 2.978.24 feet. Settlements are found along the flat lands particularly in the Poblacion where there is accessibility to transportation. The populated barangays are Arpili, buanoy and Pondol.
Land Use – Town’s land use classification
|Built-up Area a) Urban||5,328.23 hectares|
|b) Rural||191.48 hectares|
|Watershed/ Forestry||7,792.22 hectares|
|a) Central Cebu Protected Landscape||5,147.02|
|b) Grasslands & severely Eroded||8,051.56|
Climate – there are two (2) distinct types of weather prevailing in the Municipality, the wet and dry seasons. The wet season starts in May to December while the rest of the year is dry with occasional thunderstorms and rain widely dispersed around the area. Annual precipitation averages to 72.10 while the average annual temperature throughout the year fluctuates around 31 degrees Celsius. The months of March and April register the highest temperature while the months of December to February the lowest.
Language/Dialects – English, Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilongo, Binisaya, Chavacano.
Religion – Roman Catholic, church of the Latter Day Saints, Bible Baptist, Pentecostal, Protestants, Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah’s Witness, Seventh-day Adventists, UCCP, PBMA, Evangelicals, Aglipayan.
Classification – Balamban is classified as a FIRST CLASS MUNICIPALITY.
ANNUAL IRA SHARE:
The town is divided into 28 barangays, nine (9) of which are coastal areas while the other nineteen (19) are completely landlocked.
|1. Arpili||6. Sta. Cruz – Sto. Niño|
|2. Buanoy||7. Baliwagan|
|3. Abucayan||8. Cantu-od|
|4. Pondol||9. Nangka|
Voting Population – as of 2018 COMELEC record 50, 159 (registered voters per Barangay Summary) 19, 693 (registered voters per SK Summary).